Last week in Best Non-Toxic Makeup – Part 1, I talked about how important it is to be vigilant with what you’re slathering on your face to look glam in front of the camera. Being in an industry that requires you show off your best assets day in and day out means you’re soaking up products like a cactus on a rainy day.
This week I’m tackling skin, hair and body care in Part 2, because it does no good to put healthy cosmetics on top of an unhealthy base. To be clear, I’m not saying you can’t use products that aren’t good for you – occasionally. Your body can handle some toxins. But it can only filter out so many before it’s overloaded and can’t cope. And here’s the crux of the problem.
We’re constantly inundated with toxins, they’re in the food we eat, water we drink, and the air we breathe.
So, we have to choose our battles.
Wanna wear that awesome matte red lipstick that’s got carcinogens in it? Then use an eyeshadow that doesn’t. But make choices with your products because you have control over them – unlike air, food, and drink which we often don’t.
Read on a for a line-up of some products that work just as good as the bad stuff making it easier to choose safe vs. unsafe.
- Broomstick Apothecary – Face creams, soaps and more. They also have tiny makeup pots which are super cool that I talked about in Part 1 last week on YNOT.
- Indian Meadow Herbals – Some of the best face creams you’ll find.
- Copper Moon Apothecary – She has one of the cheapest non-toxic SPF face creams out there – 4 ounces for only $18 and it goes a long way. It’s also light on your skin, which is a unique quality for SPF products which can often be thick and gloopy.
- Viori – The best shampoo and conditioner I’ve ever used – bar none. Not only are they easy on the environment (no plastic) but they smell amazing.
- Gem Toothpaste – My favorite toothpaste – you’ll love the consistency and taste. I’ve only tried the mint, but if you feel daring go ahead and try some other flavors like coconut mint, watermelon mint, cinnamon mint and more. They also have mouthwashes and breath sprays.
- Badger Balm – This stuff is good for just about everything, rough elbows, cuticles, chapped lips. They also make one of the safest sunscreens on the market.
- The Goodstuff Botanicals – Face creams and more.
- Preshious Body Natural – Face creams and more.
- Dazzle Dry Nailcare – Check out the article I previously wrote gushing about this amazing polish which not only offers long-lasting wear, it dries fast and is non-toxic.
- Me Mother Earth Dental Floss – Many dental floss brands are not only bad for the environment because they’re packaged in plastic, they also contain harmful chemicals. Check out Me Mother’s charcoal floss, it’s so great you’ll never switch back even if it is pricier. As a bonus it comes in a cute refillable glass or metal container.
I hope these products work for you, and if they don’t, I’ve barely scratched the surface. There’s a world out there of toxin-free products to try. So go forth, thrive and keep looking beautiful on cam without sacrificing your health.
Photo credit: iStock.com/BeautyAgentStudio
Alyssa Collins hails from Minnesota, where snowy days were the perfect excuse to stay warm inside and write. Over the years, she turned that joy into a career and has authored numerous articles for various publications (under pen names). Email Alyssa via email@example.com.